Monday 22 October 2012

Julian Hooper


Julian Hoopers Statement

"I worked a lot in watercolour and gouache painting. I work in acrylics now because I find they can do most of the things watercolour and gouache can do. But for years, even before art school, I would be doing quick paintings on paper and I think developed a kind of fluidity with working flat and working with thin paint – paint that could move on its own accord"

When I was having a discussion about my work to Amber the other day we were talking about my work in terms of composition, the way things become disjointed and don't want to connect in a way where we would perceive. Julian Hooper took get interest to me as his works display a similar disconnection in form. Where line and shape don't want to connect, layer appear and disappear on the surface of the paint. It is through the mix media that both Hooper and I use juxtaposing transparency and fluidity with a solid form or ground.

"the activity of painting is generating the image, whereas for several years I was making quite planned images. Still, a certain amount would happen during the process of doing the painting, and I’ve made decisions along the way that could change the course of the image – but things now are much more kind of utilising chance and accident in order to create an idea for the painting"

I see this process a like mine as there is room for a  random occurance to happen that, this may reveal a certain failure, that could change the discourse of the practice. Corrosponding with the reading of Jan Verwoert's reading of 'Emergence' a process of become through a commitment to materiality.

Text/ Quotes Retrieved from the reference bellow:
Artist Profile, Issue 19 Melbourne Art Fair Special Edition (June/July 2012) pp 96 – 101

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.