Sunday 30 September 2012

Formless

Bois, A.Y, & Krauss, E. R. (1997) Formless - A Users Guide. Zone books: New York.

I was recently discussing Curate and Critic with Andy when he recommended that i should look at the book on formless. This reading was hard to get my head around so I first went to the dictionary to find what the term was to decribe 'formless' - it states without a clear or definite shape or structure.

I think in terms of my practice this is completely relevant, where there is no clear one structure, my work focuses you into a certain area but it does not give away the full image, this will only emerge with the attentive viewer. 

A quote that i find most useful is: artworks only "bear on the temporarily within the visual and on the body of the perceiving subject: pictures reveal themselves in an instant and are addressed only in the eye of the viewer."

I see this quote useful for my practice as it talks around this idea of emergence and how a painting presents itself to a viewer creating optical shift, transformations and transitions within the muted field. It is through this engagement with the work that this movement is revealed. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.