Sunday 30 September 2012

Jeena Shin

When looking at subtly I think of Jeena Shin as she creates depth and illusion through subtle changes in gloss and pigment, they are so subtly that they look like shadows projected on the wall.

I am interested in this similar optical shift as i use a gloss medium that catches the light as you more round the work. Shin states that: "this notion of inside and outside, fold and unfold is indelibly marked within an exploration of the ambiguities of spatial properties by the finely nuanced colour gradations, geometric symmetry/ asymmetry and layering is played out."  

I see this quote relating to my studio practice as there is a transition played out within this push/ pull, not so much geometrical, but there are prescience of geometrical forms and the edge of the gloss outline emerges through the paint.

I am interested in the medium that Shin paints with and how light controls these optical shifts through space as I too am working with gloss medium I intend for the light to reveal these shapes and controlling the movement of the viewer, which I think is also the case for Jeena Shin as her works are usually presented on the wall up a stair case enforcing the viewer to move through the space and engage with these transitions.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.